Saturday, March 13, 2010

Follower Feature; Jagruti





Hello,

Today, I would like to thank my first follower, Jagruti, of Joy of Cooking. We met right before my first blog was lost and as soon as I started this one, she was there. I really appreciate her support, it's so nice to have someone read your blog, and take the time to comment. Thanks, Jagruti.

My family loves Indian food, but I have had some difficulty in learning how to create this style of food, being unfarmiliar with many of the spices and ingredients. Reading blogs like Jagruti's has helped me to slowly gain understanding, and a little bit of skill.

I decided I wanted to do a post about each of my followers and thought I would start with Jagruti because she is my first follower. I decided I would choose one of her recipes, and make it myself. But first, I would read a few of my favorite blogs. I went to Holy Cow! and was so surpried to see that Viashali had just posted one of Jagruti's recipes. What a coincidence!! When I read her post I decided it was fate and that I, too, would make the same recipe; Broccoli with Fenugreek Seeds!!

I had everything I needed to make this except the Channa Dal. I had picked up some organic Fenugreek seeds a while back, after seeing them as an ingredient in an Indian dish, but had never made anything with them before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Channa Dal is simply not available to me anywhere I shop. I have been told that there is an Indian Grocery in a nearby town, but I haven't been there yet. I wanted to make this recipe right away, so I decided to substitute garbanzo beans for the Channa Dal.

Another interesting thing is that just the other day my husband and I were discussing the fact that we never see any broccoli at an Indian restaurant. In her post, Jagruti explains that broccoli is not a traditional Indian vegetable and that she has begun to cook with it since her move to London!

This dish turned out to be super delicious and simple to prepare. I am so honored to have Jagruti as a reader of my blog, and I can't wait to try more of her wonderful vegetarian Indian recipes.

Here is the recipe for Broccoli with Chaana Dal and Fenugreek seeds on Jagruti's blog and this is my adaptation.

3 C. broccoli florets, steamed
2 C. cooked garbanzo beans
¼ C. fenugreek seeds (soaked for about three hours)
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 T. olive oil
½ t. turmeric
¼ t. cayenne
1 t. coriander
1 t. cumin
¼ t. garam masala

Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions and about 1 t. salt, and saute' for several minutes, until the onion is soft. Add garlic, lower the heat and continue to saute' and stir. When the onion is transluscent add the turmeric, cayenne, coriander and cumin and continue to saute' for about three more minutes. Add the fenugreek seeds, garbanzo beans and broccoli and mix well.Saute' a few more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the garam masala.

Enjoy!!






We had this delicious dish with saffron basmati rice, raita, tomato chutney and chapattis. 

Peace and Love,

Stephanie

7 comments:

  1. It's an honour to follow your blog and wonderful posts..never miss them!! I am very happy that you made this dish and I hope you really enjoyed it..sounds fab and your pics are awesome!! thanx for all the compliments, it's all an inspiration to me!!

    cheers and have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always wonderful to discover such tasty treats on other blogs, re-create it in own kitchen, and enjoy it ... thanks to blogging world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!

    It's taken me a bit to switch over to your new blog--sorry about that!

    I love Indian food and this looks so delicious. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I first ate broccoli only after I moved to the United States. Of course, it was not hard to love this healthful veggie :)
    Glad you too tried this out. I am in love with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, A friend of mine is opening an Indian restaurant in Chapel Hill very soon. For years she has hosted dinners in her home every week! I have no clue what the names of all the dishes I have tried there. I just know it is all delicious and authentic. I will take you there when she opens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed with your culinary skills! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time here, you have very nice blog. The platter looks delicious. Love the combo of chana dal and broccoli.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks for reading my blog, and please visit again.