Friday, August 12, 2011

Purple Pesto Calzone




My middle child is leaving for college this weekend, so I harvested all the purple basil I could to make one of his favorites...pesto calzone. 






Pesto

3 cups packed basil (leaves only, no stems)
3-4 large cloves of garlic
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil

Puree‛ everything together in a food processor, until smooth.








                                                                                                                                                                    
Calzone Dough


2 cups lukewarm water
1 T. sugar
1 T. salt
1 T. instant yeast
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
5 - 6 cups unbleached flour 

Mix everything together in electric mixing bowl. Knead using dough hook, until smooth and elastic. (5 - 10 minutes)
Turn out into oiled bowl, cover loosely, and let rise until doubled. (1 - 2 hours) 

Mix 1 cup pesto with 2 cups ricotta cheese.

Gently deflate dough and divide into 6 -8 pieces. Roll each piece into a circle. Place a portion of filling on one side if the dough and fold the other side over. Seal the edges and prick with a fork or knive to create steam vents. Brush with olive oil.





Bake in a well preheated 425˚ oven for about 20 minutes until lightly browned. I use parchment paper on a pizza stone.




Enjoy!!

Peace and Love,

Stephanie 




3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Good luck to your middle child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky child! I love calzone, but have never tried making them. You may just inspire me to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious...have started following you and you have great collection of recipes,When your free plz drop into my space and will be happy if you follow me...Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks for reading my blog, and please visit again.